Tuesday, August 20, 2013

WALKING IS SO OVERRATED!!!

Heidi
 
So I did it....ran 13.1 miles on Sunday on my favorite...the Struble Trail in Downingtown.  I was only going to run 12 but a few months ago I told Kristen I would run 13.1 by my birthday, which is August 23rd (Friday).  I had no choice.  I had to bump it from 11 to 13.1.  There wasn't enough time to do another long run before Friday. 
 
I like to break my long runs into 3 mile increments.  I say to myself, "anyone can run a 5k."  (Four plus times).  I also have decided that is when I will refuel with my GU's.  Gives me something to look forward to.  My first 3 miles were uneventful.  Not great, not horrible like the last long run.  Miles four through 6 were pretty good.  I just seemed to be taking FOREVER!!!  Miles 7 through 9 were just OK as well.  Frankly, I just wanted it to be over.  It was raining, my son ran 10 miles and had been in the car waiting for me for a while and it just needed to be OVER!!  (Did I say that already??) 
 
Somewhere on my way back from my second round on the trail, my body decided that it had already done this mileage before and it was time to be done.  I think that was around 9.5 miles.  Funny what your body remembers.  I had my earphones on so I could listen to Pandora and hear my splits on Map My Run.  At about mile 11, I had had it.  I couldn't listen to one more song or stupid over 14 mile minute splits.  OK, it was really 15 minute miles.  Am I really that slow??  I was really running practically the whole entire time!!!  I knew I had 2 miles left and I decided to just run.  My splits somehow became slightly quicker and I felt better.  Maybe, just maybe, all of my technology was holding me back.  Who knows, but I have decided on my final long training run not to run with music.  It is just a theory so it may not have any validity. 

A little less than four weeks left and I think I may be ready to run this race.  Not as fast as I would have liked to because of my hip injuries but run it I will.  I still have The Tinkerbell Half and Princess Half to make up for how slow I will be for the Rock and Roll Half.  My goal is to just finish. 

How do I feel after my first 13.1??  Well I feel good.  My legs feel bad.  I can barely walk.  It isn't even a real pain.  It is just that my calves won't move when I try to walk.  Hopefully the next time I run this far I will be able to walk the next day or two.  Just in case I can't...I am going to take the day off from work.  (But more importantly, how will I walk all over Disneyland and Disney World after running Tink and Princess??  Back to training I guess!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment