Monday, August 26, 2013

Quiet Week For Me...

Heidi
 
 
I am sure you have realized I haven't  said much this week.  Well that is because I had nothing to say.  Kristen is in Disney World and I will admit, I am very jealous.  Plus, I was recovering from my 13.1 run last Sunday.  Yes it did take me 8 days to recover.  Damn I am OLD!!!  Other than a few short bike rides, I did NOTHING!!  So there you have it, nothing to talk about.
 
Yesterday the fam and I went to Mt. Vernon and Arlington National Cemetery.  It was a birthday trip that was supposed to be all weekend but due to my husband getting sick, it turned into a day trip.  Luckily the D.C. area is only two hours away from us. This is how you know if you have a running sickness...
 
We pull up to Mt. Vernon and I see a bike/running trail.  Instead of parking, I tell my husband to go right out of the parking lot just in case this was parking for the trail.  (Somehow we passed right by Mt. Vernon's entrance so I truly wasn't sure...just saying.)    WELL, I almost had a heart attack.  There is this beautiful trail that runs parallel to the Potomac River.  If I had known there was this trail, we would have at the least, brought our bikes.  I did bring my running shoes but thought better about smelling up my only clothes I was wearing.
 
So we wander through Mt. Vernon.  I have to say, Virginia is a bit hilly.  Got some good exercise in.  After a few hours we decide we have seen enough.  (Really my fam thought they saw enough in the first 20 minutes...but it was MY birthday.)  Instead of eating there for lunch (it was 2:00 already), we decide we are going to eat at one of the restaurants we passed on our way in.  Only, the hubs took a right instead of a left.  We went down George Washington Parkway which parallels the trail and drove right to Arlington National Cemetery.  Never really passed a great place to eat but I was so engrossed in how great this trail was, I didn't even notice. 
 
So we park and walk endlessly through the cemetery.  If you want a work out, there you have it.  (My brain really never shuts down with exercise.)  We saw JFK's site and the Tomb of the Unknown Solder.  That was enough for me (and the fam!!!).  We were STARVING by then.  I am sure we walked about 5 miles by now.  It was time to eat.
 
I make my husband drive to Georgetown.  Brilliant idea because I wanted my 16 year old son to see the campus.  Well, it was move in day for them.  SO CROWDED!!!  It took us about an hour to drive through with the traffic.  No parking to be had so we never stopped for lunch (or cupcakes for that matter.).  It was about 4:30 by now. 
 
When we finally got to the highway, it took us another 45 minutes to find a good place to stop.  Uggghh!!!  It was dinner time.  So a bonus??  I never ate lunch so eating at Johnny Rocket's and having a peanut butter milkshake was no big deal, right??
 
NO!!!!  Because I have eaten like crap for the past few days due to it being my birthday, my first run this morning since my 13.1 miles was well....CRAP!!!  Now I know.  I AM BACK ON THE WAGON!! 
 
And that's all I have to say...until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment