Sunday, October 20, 2013

The Cheering Section

Kristen


It's been awhile since I've written.  Sadly, I've been fighting a nagging injury and while at first I have to admit I was happy to take a break, it's getting old fast.  The Hershey half is this morning and I was signed up for it and am now not running.  In reality, I don't know when I will run again.  I tried to run Friday, and it was not pretty, so I'm hoping to take the next week off and hopefully the rest will allow my body to heal and get back to it. 

While I have not been running, it's not all been laying on the couch eating bon-bons.  I have continued to bike and thanks to the wonders of YouTube, I have gone back to workouts that I haven't done in 10 years.  I've been reading that strengthening the core could possibly help me, so I've been focusing on that and doing Pilates, which admittedly is a nice change of pace. 

But, enough about me.  I had the opportunity to be on the other side of things-namely be the cheering section.  Yesterday was Run the Grove here in town and though it was a very small event it was great to be out on a beautiful morning cheering everyone on.  My husband has been running a lot longer than me and while I have certainly been in the cheering section many times, this is the first time in a long time that I wasn't running and had the opportunity to watch a race.  There is certainly something to be said about the camaraderie at an event.  


 
 

Heidi was worried she was going to be last.  Either way, she's still out there running it!



The other side of the start line, where nerves don't exist!



How much longer Mommy?  It's soon time to get him out running.



Let's go, hurry up-is what I imagine is being said.
I know Heidi won't like this picture, but I love how all her friends are cheering her on to the finish!

Since it was such a small race, times were posted fairly quickly.  I was told that my daughter got 4th in her age group as did Heidi's son.  We left as awards were getting started, because I had food to shop for and Emma had to move on to her next event-an overnight Girl Scout trip.  About 5 minutes after we got home our doorbell rang and it's our lovely neighbor who generously accepted Emma's 3rd place medal and brought it home for her, along with Heidi's son's 3rd place medal.  Thanks Diane!!  I guess we should not listen to others about finishing times-I won't say who specifically we were listening to but I may be married to the person.  Overall, a great morning out and hopefully next race, I'll be back behind the starting line-nerves and all! 

No comments:

Post a Comment