Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Things I Ponder

Kristen

Over the summer, my phone stopped working due to the fact that I am a music addict while I run.  Basically, the headphone jack broke and the only way I could talk on my phone was speaker, which really is a pain.  After a few days, it started working again.  I continued to listen to music while running and then it happened again.  So, since then I have stopped using my headphones completely.  This was a very big step for me-I have ALWAYS used headphones to run-ever since I started running in high school.  I am embarrassed to say that I briefly contemplated quitting the whole running thing altogether-I know a little drastic-but lets face it we all have those moments.

Anyway, since I can no longer sing in my head I have a whole lot of time for thinking.  Sometimes, way to much time and I thought it would be fun to sometimes share with you the random things that pop into my head as I run.

  • I just read an article about the richest writers in America.  James Patterson obviously is near the top of the list.  I mean he is consistently on the bestseller lists with usually 2 books and really how many books does he write each year?  What I ponder is that E.L. James is up there earning as much as him.  How is this possible?  She writes 3 books compared to A LOT from Patterson.
 
  • There are all kind of records being broken in Mississippi for people catching the largest alligator.  There are a few things to ponder here.  First, these things are massive-who is catching them?  Second, where are these alligators living?  Are they near schools and houses or do you actually have to go searching for them somewhere?  People here on the east coast are afraid of sharks in the ocean.  The size of these alligators make sharks look like child's play.  And finally, what are you doing with it?  Are you eating the meat?  Do you stuff it or hang it's head on the wall?
 
  • Finally, for today as I run the same 3.5 mile loop day in and day out I wonder what makes a person say hello or wave and what makes a person ignore you?  I mean, I am literally running past the same people 3-4 times a week month in and month out for years and yet some people will not even glance my way much less say hi.  Then some people will always wave, sometimes expressing a few words of encouragement.  Is this a learned behavior?  And if so, can it be changed?  We all live on this small piece of the planet together, make someone's day a little brighter. 
 http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/06/ae/3b/06ae3bb886e28801ebd9fda3d5cf6641.jpg

 I have to admit that I kind of enjoy the silence now.  I would certainly love music sometimes, but as with all things you adapt.  What are the things you ponder while running?

 

2 comments:

  1. Isn't the silence glorious?? I find it makes me run faster now. And what is it with those people that don't acknowledge you (or me either for that matter?) It happens on my favorite trail too. So many things to ponder...ha ha. (Heidi)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like running with music too Heidi!!
    ~ Heather

    ReplyDelete