Thursday, September 5, 2013

Diet and Exercise

Kristen


I just got back from 10 days in sunny Florida.  While I had a great time re-charging and spending time with the family, the vacation did a number on my running.  I really thought it was the heat and long days in Florida that affected my running while there.  Getting up at 5 a.m., running 5 miles then walking all through Disney for 10-15 hours a day is nothing short of exhausting.

We got home at 8 p.m. on Sunday night.  I had a planned 15 miler on Monday morning.  I drank as much fluids as I could driving home and switched back to a more normal diet-veggie sub from Subway-knowing I had a long brutal run in front of me.

I woke at 5 to get out there and get going.  I could tell immediately that it was not going to be a  good run.  I ran my 3.5 mile loop and stopped in my driveway for some water.  I was spent.  I felt weak as if I was finishing the 15 instead of just starting.  I thought about my options while I chugged my water and decided to call it a day-no use torturing myself when clearly my body was not ready for a long run such as this.  I hoped that after catching up on life and eating "normal" the next day would prove to be more productive.

Tuesday was the first day of school which means in our neighborhood a time to celebrate.  I didn't want to give up on the run completely so I decided if I was out by 5, I could do a speed workout and be home in time to make the kids a special first day breakfast and not miss any celebrating.  I would like to say that one day of eating right made all the difference, but I really struggled through this run as well.  It wasn't quite as bad, but still not the easy running I had grown accustomed to.

I decided to change things up Wednesday and ride bike, which was a huge hardship in and of itself, since I really haven't ridden since early July.  I continued to eat as healthfully as possible though. 

Thursday, it was time to get back to it and run.  Finally, I am starting to feel better and I really think it's due to the fact that all this week I was getting my water and eating clean.  I never felt affected by such things before in running or even daily life.  It could be age starting to catch up to me as well, but by the end of vacation I was really starting to drag and craving salads and fruit instead of ice-cream and sodas. 

I would leave you with some highlights of vacation, but sadly all the pictures are still on the camera waiting to be downloaded.  We did have a few magical moments this trip though-2 free soft pretzels offered to us as we were walking to Fantasmic.  We were so shocked by this that we all stood there looking at the offer and not responding until the 2 girls said it was a Magical Moment.  Also, my brother-in-law got picked for a part in the Indiana Jones show.  I got picked to be in Flights of Wonder-all in all a very fun memorable trip and as always I can't wait to go back!

No comments:

Post a Comment