Friday, August 2, 2013

DOES TOUGH LOVE WORK....PART 2

Heidi
 
 
So let me just start off with....I am that friend that Kristen is talking about.  I started my weight loss train wreck (I prefer that to journey) January 2012.  Kristen has been a great support for me with losing 45 pounds in about 7 or 8 months.  However, in the past 7 or 8 months I have been struggling with the same 5 or 6 lbs.  It is annoying.  I am not blaming it on anything other than me.  I over eat sometimes.  I over train sometimes then eat.  The reality is...you can't out exercise a bad diet.
 
The truth is, my diet is good.  I haven't been this healthy in years.  However, I love my cookies.  They have to be hidden from me or I will eat not 1 or 2, but 5 or 6.  I am not good with control over sugar.  I also get hungry after a work out at night.  Basically, I over eat.  Not going to lie.
 
Kristen and I did a triathlon (dualathlon for Kristen) on June 30th.  We were training hard for it.  Two workouts a day most days.  Did I lose any weight??  Not really.  Up an down.  But after the tri, I haven't really worked out very often with Kristen.  I toned back my workouts for sure.  Now I am gearing up for my first half which is on September 15th.    My long run was 10 miles two weeks ago.  Since then I have been fighting a  hip flexor issue.  So running has been a challenge.  Being overweight, I just can't go out and run 4 to 5 times a week, especially with an injury.  It is what it is.  So once again, my workouts have not been what they need to be.  Have I gained weight since the tri?  Yes and no.  Up and down.  I am not worried about it, truthfully.  I know when I get serious about training again, it will come off.  Assuming I eat like I should, of course.
 
So this leads me to...does tough love work??  For me...in a word...NO!!!  Kristen and I had a "come to Jesus" moment on Wednesday.  I know she is trying to help.  It has been 1 year and 7 months and I have lost 45 lbs.  I should be down way more than that.  Did she say what she needed to say to get me encouraged to get back on track again?  Probably.  Frankly, I didn't want to hear it.  Here is the thing with me...I KNOW WHAT TO DO!!  I COULD WRITE A DIET AND EXERCISE BOOK.  It is just having the willpower to do it.  Her not exercising with me regularly didn't get me off track.  If I was in my zone, she wouldn't matter.  I am just not in my zone at the moment.  I am not so far off track that I am going to blow what I did.  I am just not doing what I need to do to continue the weight loss.  Looks like I am pretty good at maintenance. 
 
So there it is.  The reality, no matter what you try to do for someone in the weight loss battle, you can't do it for them.  They have to be ready.  They have to be willing.  If they aren't, you are wasting your time and energy.  I have been on both ends of this.  Many times my friend Jackie tried to get me to work out with her.  I did for a few days.  Then it ended.  I wasn't ready.  In January 2012, I was ready!!!  I was a mess.  I needed to save myself, my health.  Kristen was huge in my weight loss and fitness commitment.  I have also tried to help friends that need to lose weight.  Especially now that I have done it myself.  For whatever reason, they aren't interested.  They just aren't in their zone yet.  Hopefully, they will get there.  I just may not be the person they want help from.  It isn't personal...or maybe it is.  Who knows??
 
I will say this.  I have never been in better shape or health in my life since college.  Even a year ago I couldn't run 3 miles without stopping.  I didn't finish my first 5k without stopping until Thanksgiving 2012.  Now I can run 10 miles without stopping.  I can swim a 500, bike 15 miles and run 3.2 miles all without stopping.  I can go buy clothes that are smaller than what they were a year ago.  So this all must be working.  I will take being 65 lbs overweight still and be at the fitness level I am at now than to be at my goal weight and not be able to do all of this.  There are MANY thin people I know that could not keep up with me.  THAT MAKES ME HAPPY!!
 
Kristen, if it wasn't for you and your tough love a year and seven months ago, I would not be where I am today.  So perhaps your "kind" tough love really works!!
 
 
 
 
My friend, Heather (left) and I after the Chester County Turkey Trot 2012.
PR for us both and the first 5k I didn't walk.


No comments:

Post a Comment