Friday, August 9, 2013

ADMITTING DEFEAT...

Heidi
 
As you know I ran my 11 mile long run on Tuesday.  I also have been having issues with my right hip flexor/leg.  I am thinking I may have overdone it this time.  I have been nursing it for a few weeks now. A ton of Advil, stretching, ice,  but nothing has made it better.  Even with time off, it will feel better until I run again.  This couldn't have come at a worse time with only five weeks left before my first half. 
 
In the last year I have overcome knee pain, a shin splint, issues with my left hip flexor and a few other minor issues.  The knee pain would come and go.  I used K tape and knee braces to help.  The shin splint lasted a few months but then suddenly it went as fast as it came.  No rhyme or reason.  Then just as I started adding miles for my first 10k (Hershey), my left hip flexor started hurting.  This was not going away so I visited my new best friend, Dr. Glogowski at Active Family & Sports Chiropractic.  http://activeexton.com/  A friend of mine gave me his name and he did wonders on my hip.  I highly advise anyone with sports injuries to see him.  He is certified in Active Release Technique (ART) which is what he used on me.  Anyway, oddly enough, the day he told me I was good to go and only really needed to come and see him before a race, my other hip started hurting.  I figured it would go away.  I only ran four miles that morning, after all.  NOPE!!!  It is really killing me so I just made another appointment with Dr. G. for next week.  I hope it is something he can cure in less than five weeks. 
 
So until then, I will ride my bike and swim (and take a lot of Advil which I am not advocating by the way).  Hopefully I can get through this and be well enough to run my first half.  This is so frustrating.  Believe it or not, I truly am at a point, after a year and a half, that I enjoy running. 
 
Injuries really are the most frustrating part of my training these days.  I feel like every time one thing heals, something else flairs up.  It isn't easy running with extra weight.  I am sure it isn't good for my joints and muscles but it is a necessary evil in my world.  I WILL NOT GIVE UP!!!  I just will not be running the rest of this week.  Perhaps I should plan another beach day...
 


2 comments:

  1. #1 Please make sure you eat with the Advil - your stomach lining will thank you later. #2 You do realize you are getting older right? I know I will always be older than you and you take great pride in that :) #3 For those followers that live in the Downingtown/West Chester area, Tom Suspenski, PT, ATC of Health Check on Boot Road is excellent for sports injuries. They put me, my husband and my father back together. Website http://www.healthcheckphysicaltherapypa.com/ Best wishes for the half.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No worries, food and I have no issues. I always eat when I down my Advil. And yes I know I am old. I am about to be even older in a few weeks. Trying to extend my oldness by doing this crazy stuff and being healthy. And thanks for the PT info. Always good to get a reputable person to take care of injuries!!! Thanks!!

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete