Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Why I Run
 
Heidi
 
 
I started running for two reasons.  The first one is because I saw my friend Jackie do her first Triathlon five years ago.  I decided then I wanted to do one.   I swam year round my whole childhood, so that was no big deal.  I could ride a bike, so that wasn't an issue.  Running??  I would need some serious training to be able to run a 5k.  Not to mention, I was overweight and had not worked out seriously in years. 
 
So fast forward to January 2012....I started working out with my good friends Kristen and Jackie.  One day in February we all were on the indoor track at the local YMCA and they made me run.  Yes I said "made."  Intervals of course because I couldn't do more than a small lap without walking (and huffing and puffing).  Then Kristen had the great idea to sign up for our first race....The Kennett Run....a 5k in May 2012.  What could go wrong??  So I trained and I walked/ran it.  I was slow, but I finished....and not last. (I also signed my three children up to run it with me.)
 
I was hooked.  I hated every second of it while doing it.  When I was finished, I had the most amazing feeling.  I totally understood that Runner's High.  Since then I have run several races including my first Sprint Triathlon in June 2013.  Mission accomplished.  Now I have so many more races I want to do.  So the second reason I run is because my good friends Kristen and Jackie "made" me run.  I should thank them everyday for giving me this gift!! 
 
 
 

 
Heidi with her children getting ready to run the Kennett Run 5k 2012...



No comments:

Post a Comment